<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Thursday, March 09, 2006
 
Goodbye, My Friend

I hope you'll indulge me for a moment as I remember a good friend who recently passed away.

He had a true love for both the Godfather movies and Las Vegas, so this Hyman Roth monologue from The Godfather Part II has special meaning:

There was this kid I grew up with -- he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to
me -- you know. We did our first work together -- worked our way out of the
street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During Prohibition -- we ran
molasses into Canada -- made a fortune -- you father, too. As much as anyone, I
loved him -- and trusted him. Later on he had an idea -- to build a city out of
a desert stop-over for GI's on the way to the West Coast. That kid's name was
Moe Green -- and the city he invented was Las Vegas. This was a great man -- a
man of vision and guts. And there isn't even a plaque -- or a signpost -- or a
statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows
who gave the order -- when I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe -- I knew he
was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead
-- I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen -- I
didn't ask who gave the order -- because it had nothing to do with business!

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com