<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Thursday, January 12, 2006
 
Whoops, Wrong Story!

From today's Washington Wire in the Wall Street Journal:

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter recalls the days when
fellow Republican Sen. Charles Grassley of Iowa started proceedings to hold
Attorney General William French Smith in contempt, during the Reagan
administration. "And that was at about a time when Attorney General Smith was
inviting some members of the Judiciary Committee to have lunch, and he was very
dour during the entire lunch as far as his attitude toward me. I found out
why at the end of the lunch; he wanted to know why I wanted to hold him in
contempt," recalls Specter.

Grassley, at Specter's urging, turns the table with a story about the
time his constituents blamed him for Specter's actions.

"Tell your Anita Hill story, Chuck," says Specter.

Grassley settled behind his microphone: "He asked the questions of Anita
Hill, and I was sitting behind him -- or beside him very quietly because
only two Republicans were going to ask questions. And I went back to
my constituency, and everybody said to me, 'You were awful to Anita Hill.
You just treated her awful,' because they got me mixed up with" with
Specter.

An aghast Specter replies: "Wait, I didn't know you were going to tell that
part of the thing."


Something to remember when conservatives complain about how the Democrats are behaving during these confirmation hearings...

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com