<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Wednesday, October 12, 2005
 
If You Believe This, I've Got a Bridge to Sell You

A la Clarence Thomas in 1991 claiming he never discussed Roe v. Wade with anyone in law school in 1973, James Dobson fantastically claims Rove and he never discussed Roe v. Wade when Rove called him to get support for Miers:

We did not discuss Roe v. Wade in any context or any other pending issue that
will be considered by the Court. I did not ask that question. You know, to be
honest, I would have loved to have known how Harriet Miers views Roe v. Wade.
But even if Karl had known the answer to that and I’m certain that he didn’t,
because the President himself said he didn’t know, Karl would not have told me
that. That’s the most incendiary information that’s out there and it was never
part of our discussion.


"Did not discuss Roe v. Wade in any context." Riighht. So what did he and Rove discuss? Dobson makes a nice cover story about what Rove said to him:

What did Karl Rove say to me that I knew on Monday that I couldn’t reveal?
Well, it’s what we all know now, that Harriet Miers is an Evangelical Christian,
that she is from a very conservative church, which is almost universally
pro-life, that she had taken on the American Bar Association on the issue of
abortion and fought for a policy that would not be supportive of abortion, that
she had been a member of the Texas Right to Life. In other words, there is a
characterization of her that was given to me before the President had actually
made this decision. I could not talk about that on Monday. I couldn’t talk about
it on Tuesday. In fact, Brit Hume said, “What church does she go to?” And I
said, “I don’t think it’s up to me to reveal that.” Do you remember my saying
that?

John: I do, yes.

JCD: What I meant was, I couldn’t get into this. But by Wednesday and
Thursday and Friday, all this information began to come out and it was no longer
sensitive. I didn’t have the right to be the one that revealed it and that’s
what I was referring to.


So Dobson wants us to believe that they discussed whether or not Miers was pro-life but the subject of Roe v. Wade did not come up in any context? But more importantly, contrary to his cover-story here, Dobson was still saying that he knew stuff about Miers that wasn't public long after stories had come out about her church and her ABA activity. (In fact, here's a New York Times story about Miers' ABA abortion activity on Tuesday, the day after the nomination.) Someone's pants are on fire.

UPDATE:

Someone else in the blogosphere has shown how bad a liar Dobson is too. Precisely what he said he learned from Rove he told Brit Hume in another portion of the same interview he references above.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com