<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Tuesday, February 22, 2005
 
Five Day Waiting Period Before Pressing Send?

Below I took Hindrocket of the Powerline blog to task for his intemperate and one-sided remarks about Jimmy Carter. I also alluded to him earlier when I noted that some conservative bloggers were ignoring the "Jeff Gannon" story, by claiming they didn't know what the story was or why it was significant enough to write about.

Well, one reader sent Hindrocket an e-mail, explaining why he thought the "Gannon" story was worth covering:

Your recent post on the JD Guckert/Jeff Gannon story has to be one of the
saddest examples of conservative head-in-sand syndrome I have ever seen. You
claim that there are three issues being brought up by liberals: 1) He isn't a
"real" journalist, 2) He was a Bush administration plant, and 3) He had
something (God knows what) to do with the Valerie Plame story. Of course, you
blatantly ignore the most important issue, the one that is easily found on
hundreds of blogs covering the story: how did a person using a fake name get
access to the White House? If I applied for a pass to the White House using the
name "Max Power", I would not get in unless I had some friends high up at the
top. A closely-related issue is exactly what the links are between GOPUSA and
Talon News. Now, you may think it perfectly acceptable for the President and
press secretary to consistently call on a reporter who is working for what is
essentially an arm of the Republican Party. If so, it would be nice if you would
admit it. That doesn't mean that others aren't allowed to have a problem with
that arrangement, however.

You also take Americablog to task for "finding nude photos of Gannon and
posting them online." He didn't "find" photos taken by some paparazzi at a
secret party; he found websites where Guckert (let's use his real name, not his
pretend name) posted his own photos. If you posted photos of your family on your
web page and I posted a link to these photos, would that make me a low-life
"outing" you? Come on. Guckert is not ashamed of these photos, otherwise he
would not have put them on the web in the first place. If somebody else finds
them and points them out to the world, they are doing nothing wrong.

Just one, just once, it would be nice to see a conservative with the
ability to find fault with other conservatives. I won't hold my breath,
though.


(The writer's final paragraph, BTW, is also my biggest criticism of Hindrocket.) And here's Hindrocket's intelligent, well-thought out response:

You dumb shit, he didn't get access using a fake name, he used his real
name. You lefties' concern for White House security is really touching, but you
know what, you stupid asshole, I think the Secret Service has it covered. Go
crawl back into your hole, you stupid left-wing shithead. And don't bother us
anymore. You have to have an IQ over 50 to correspond with us. You don't
qualify, you stupid shit.

Nice, real nice. Sorta what Ann Coulter had in mind when she claimed that "liberals prefer invective to engagement," right?

Oh, and in case you're wondering if this e-mail is authentic, Hindrocket admitted it on his blog. And here's his "explanation":

So that's the context in which I was reading emails a couple of days ago. I
read about ten in a row that were vulgar and abusive in varying degrees; most
were unprintable. At that point I snapped and lost my temper. I sent irate and
intemperate replies to the last couple of emails I read--unfortunately, not the
most abusive ones, but the ones I read after losing my temper.

The next day, one of these emailers responded that he thought my reply was
disproportionate to the offensiveness of his email; I agreed and apologized for
having reacted inappropriately. I would have done the same with the "Minnesota
Politics" guy if he had contacted me rather than posting my email--which
obviously wasn't intended for publication--on his site.


I love the last paragraph -- it's the e-mailer's fault for not e-mailing Hindrocket again after receiving the e-mail grenade in his in-box. If he had, you see, Hindrocket would have apologized. I'm kinda surprised he didn't claim that Dan Rather forged the e-mail...

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com