<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Tuesday, October 05, 2004
 
Johnny E Comes Through Big

I must admit, I have waited for this night ever since Kerry picked Edwards back in July. I am unabashed in my respect for Edwards' political talent and I really believed that Edwards would shine in this setting. I confess that I was nervous leading up to tonight, and we still haven't learned who will win the post-debate spin, as the debate just ended 20 minutes ago, but I really thought Edwards did great.

Personally, I had been waiting four years for someone to mention that Cheney voted against Head Start and against a resolution supporting the release of Nelson Mandela from prison while he was in Congress. Lieberman somehow couldn't find the time to mention that in 2000, but Edwards did.

Edwards was strong on the facts and very, very strong on hammering Cheney's claims that Saddam Hussein and 9/11 or Al Qaeda were connected. He was relentless on that point. Edwards' opening line will be replayed over and over, more than anything else said tonight, I wager.

Finally, Edwards' closing statement was masterful, showing all of the skill of years in the courtroom. Let's see what happens now, but 2 debates down, 2 to go and I feel good.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com