<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Thursday, August 26, 2004
 
It Depends What the Meaning of "In" Is?

Not to be deterred by the utter debunking of their allegations and a little thing called "the truth," the Swifties have a new ad out, this time quoting Steve Gardner claiming that John Kerry lied when he said he was in Cambodia on Christmas Eve 1968. "We were never in Cambodia on a secret mission. Ever," the ad concludes.

However, as I noted earlier, White House tapes has emerged showing John O'Neill, the veteran who was primarily pushing this allegation, telling President Richard Nixon in the Oval Office:

O'NEILL: I was in Cambodia, sir. I worked along the border on the
water.

NIXON: In a swift boat?

O'NEILL: Yes, sir.


O'Neill is trying to explain away the clear contradiction:

In an interview Wednesday with The Associated Press, O'Neill did not
dispute what he said to Nixon on June 16, 1971, but he insisted he was never
actually in Cambodia.

"I think I made it very clear that I was on the border, which is
exactly where I was for three months," O'Neill said of the conversation. "I was
about 100 yards from Cambodia."

Hmm. I would think that "in Cambodia" is pretty damn clear, just as Republicans thought "There is no sexual relationship" was pretty damn clear. Why are we even wasting any more time on these guys?

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com