<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Wednesday, August 11, 2004
 
I Knew They Would Try Something Like This

Recently, as things have been going very well for Kerry, I've worried that the Republicans would try something underhanded and dirty to even the score, since they would realize that they couldn't win at the ballot box.

My main thoughts were either 1) postponing the election on some bogus terror reason or 2) playing electronic hanky-panky with the electronic voting machines in an important swing state, like Ohio. I certainly didn't put this things past them after what happened to the African-American "felons" in Florida in 2000 and with attempts to suppress the minority vote in places like Florida and Maryland in 2002 (efforts like putting flyers on cars in poor black neighborhoods stating if you want to vote in the election on [date] (note: this is always the wrong date too), then you need to pay all outstanding fines and parking tickets or you will not be allowed to vote.)

Now, it appears that the Republicans have come up with this, according to a posting on Craig's List in Missouri:

Today, around lunchtime, I went with my parents to the polls to vote in our
primary election. When I got there, I found that I had somehow been removed from
the books, and hence could not vote. Frustrated, I took the day off work
and my mom took me down to the Election Board at 18th and Walnut. When we got
there, we found that the reason I was not on the books is that SOMEONE had sent
in an address change card for me. I live near 76th and Troost, but the voting
database now had me down as living at 52nd and Locust - I've NEVER lived there,
and have in fact lived at this address all of my life [...] It took about two
hours, but the elections commission director straightened it out and I was
finally able to vote. However, she told me why this has been happening, and it's
very worrisome.

Apparently there are groups out there who buy copies of the voter
registration rolls, then send in new registrations for registered voters giving
them a new address. It's really a more sophisticated version of the whole thing
with the felony lists in Florida in the last election - however, people aren't
being REMOVED from the voting rolls, and hence there's no red flag being raised.
After all, people DO move and send in change of address, so there's no reason
for them to suspect voter fraud [...]

By the way, I'll just say that I think it's significant that I happen to
live in a largely minority, heavily Democratic district in a swing state.

This is not the first time I've read about this happening this year. Disgusting. This shit has got to stop.


Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com