<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Wednesday, July 07, 2004
 
Oh, They're Afraid

The two arguments being put out by the Bush campaign about Edwards right now are 1) he's too inexperienced to be President and 2) he was Kerry's second choice behind McCain. Here's the response to both:

1) E.J. Dionne handles the inexperienced argument today, by quoting Orrin Hatch from the 2000 race:

When you hear Republicans disparage Sen. John Edwards's lack of experience, remember the words of Sen. Orrin Hatch, spoken to George W. Bush at a debate on Dec. 6, 1999.

"You've been a great governor," Hatch declared of his rival for the Republican presidential nomination. "My only problem with you, governor, is that you've only had four and going into your fifth year of governorship. . . . Frankly, I really believe that you need more experience before you become president of the United States. That's why I'm thinking of you as a vice presidential candidate."

Which is exactly what Edwards was chosen for yesterday.


2) As for the "second choice" argument about McCain, there's this McCain interview from this past March(let's also not forget that Bush's father was the true second choice in 1980 after a Ronald Reagan-Gerald Ford dream ticket fell apart):

McCain: I would not be Vice President of the United States on either ticket. I told President Bush when he asked me in 2000 if, when he asked me if I was interested, I said I was not interested.


Gee, sounds like Dick Cheney was also a second choice, huh?

The trial lawyer stuff will start soon too, but I'm not worried about that, having read a bit about Edwards' cases. He represented children and families who were horribly injured by some truly negligent companies and people, and fought against some incredibly obstinate insurance companies that would not settle for a reasonable amount.

As Josh Marshall is apt to note, the ferocity of the Republicans' response is usually proportionate to the level of their concern about the person they're attacking. Remember Richard Clarke?

I'm going love seeing Edwards out there...

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com