<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Monday, May 31, 2004
 
Liberal Media?

Remember the Kerry-intern Drudge scare back in February? It blew up into absolutely nothing, but I remember talking with friends who felt, based on some U.K. tabloid articles quoting the woman's parents blasting Kerry, that someone must have gone on. Somewhat unsure myself, I still maintained that this smelled like a right-wing skunk. (Maybe the fact that I was reading Joe Conason and Gene Lyons' great seminal work, The Hunting of the President, at the time contributed to my view)

Well, it turns out that those quotes weren't exactly accurate either. The woman in question, Alexandra Polier, writes an article this week in New York magazine discussing the whole frenzy.

Per Wonkette, quoting Polier's article:

...of course, i still remained unsure how it was that I got dragged into this thing. My relationship with Peter [Maroney, Kerry's Finance Director] had put me close to the senator, and I certainly hadn’t kept it a secret that I had been excited to meet and talk to Kerry. The more people I talked to, the more one supposed source kept coming up, a woman whom Drudge had called my “close friend.” I won’t mention her name here, but she had worked for a Republican lobbyist—Bill Jarrell, who runs a firm called Washington Strategies, gives money to Bush, and had been a top aide to Tom DeLay. I called her immediately to ask her if she had been telling people I’d had an affair with Kerry. “I may have said you knew him,” she said, sounding as if she were choosing her words with great care. “I may have said you had dinner with him. But I never said you had an affair!”
Then another reporter also said she’d told him I had slept with Kerry. I couldn’t believe one of my closest friends would tell such a thing—we went all the way back to tenth grade. I had even asked her to be a bridesmaid. She denied it again, then softened her position. “I may have told Bill that you knew Kerry. Look, I was once with you when you phoned Kerry’s office and then he called you right back. And I thought, How amazing, and I got excited and I told friends about it.” She started to cry. “I’m very, very sorry,” she sobbed. “If all this leads back to me, it wasn’t intentional.”

I called Jarrell and asked him what he thought. “Come on Alex,” he said, “Who else could it be?”


So there's the source. But what about those quotes, particularly one from Polier's mother. Gawker, Wonkette's older New York cousin, has another excerpt from Polier:

Though my name wasn't mentioned in the initial Drudge "exclusive," it made its first appearance in the British tabloid The Sun on Friday, February 13. The article, by one Brian Flynn, referred to Kerry as a sleazeball in the headline and said I was 24 (didn't I wish). It purported to quote my father at home in Pennsylvania discussing the senator, saying, "I think he's a sleazeball." The article also claimed to quote my mother as saying Kerry had once chased after me to be on his campaign. My mother was not even home when Flynn called, and Flynn didn't tell my father -- who at this stage was unaware of the Drudge allegations -- that he was interviewing him. Instead, he presented himself as a friend trying to get hold of me to talk about John Kerry. My father, a Republican, who believed Kerry had flip-flopped on various issues, said, "Oh, that sleazeball." Here's how it reappeared in Flynn's piece: "There is no evidence the pair had an affair, but her father, Terry, 56, said: 'I think he's a sleazeball.'"
...Afraid I would lose my temper, I asked my editor to call [Flynn] first.
"I was calling to ask you who your source was for your story which named Alex Polier as the intern in the Kerry story," she said.

"Ah, many people have asked me; it was a fantastic source," he said. "I broke that story to the world, you know!" he added proudly. "But your source was wrong," she pointed out. He paused, startled. "You've just ambushed me," he cried. "You've ambushed me!"

"I think you should speak to Alex," she said and passed me the phone.

"Hello," he said, sounding nervous.

"I'd like to talk to you. I'm writing a piece and have some questions."

"It's not a good time right now," he said. "Let's meet up next week."

"Why did you quote my mother when she wasn't even home?" I persisted.

"I really can't talk about this right now, Alex," he said.

When I finally tracked him down the following week, he was brusque and told me to go through The Sun's PR office. I asked him about my mother again, but he kept saying, "Sorry, Alex, proper channels." Reached in London, Lorna Carmichael, The Sun's PR manager, refused to comment. I went to Flynn's apartment, and spoke to his wife through the intercom. "Go away and leave us alone!" she cried. "He's not going to come down or speak to you."


So, just remember this the next time you see those flashing sirens on Drudge...

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com