<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Monday, April 19, 2004
 
Why Tenet Still Has A Job

I'm going to comment more on Woodward's book soon, as I plan to read it, but I want to make one important point based on what I saw on 60 Minutes last night.

People have repeatedly asked why George Tenet still has a job given the unbelievable intelligence failure in Iraq. Woodward reports that Tenet himself told Bush that it was a "slam dunk" that Hussein had WMDs. In the end, it is clear that Tenet was spectacularly wrong. So why hasn't he been fired?

I think the answer is pretty obvious, following up on another of Woodward's revelations -- it was because Cheney was driving the train, including the intelligence gathering. Woodward reports Powell being concerned about Cheney's unyielding desire to go to war and Cheney's habit of only seeing one side to the intelligence. I believe Cheney was feeding Tenet's team unreliable intelligence from Chalabi and then Tenet passed it on. If you fire Tenet, you need to fire Cheney. And that ain't happening until November.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com