<$BlogRSDURL$>
WaxWorks
|
Tuesday, December 10, 2002
 
I've always thought that the 2006 elections in New York raise some really interesting possibilities, and a news report today adds to the intrigue.

Both the Governor and the Senate seat will be up in 2006, as they were in 1998. Hillary will be up for re-election and she will certainly be a very difficult candidate to beat. Since September 11, though, I've wondered (and worried) what a Hillary-Giuliani Senate race would look like, as I think he's the only Republican who could beat her. I think, however, given Giuliani's temperment and leadership style, that he is much better suited to be Governor than Senator, but I think he would love to be the one who knocks off Hillary. Assuming that Giuliani doesn't become VP in 2004 (and it seems as though Bush will keep Cheney), Giuliani will have a tough decision to make in 2006 -- run for Governor or run for Senator.

I've thought that perhaps Pataki would make that decision easier for him, by running for a fourth term, and leading Giuliani to choose the Senate race. But reports are that Pataki has told people privately that he will not seek a fourth term. I think this is good news for Hillary and the Democrats, as I bet Giuliani chooses to be Governor rather than Senator, setting up a potential Elliot Spitzer/Rudy Giuliani race. I wonder if Pataki will decide to go after Hillary, mistakenly thinking he's more popular than he is. (Other than Cuomo, he really hasn't run against anyone strong)...

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com